The words of a brilliant economist

This Ogre freak, who’s been a capering Internet idiot for a very long time, apparently believes that everyone’s financial circumstances are divorced from what’s happening in the nation at large. Apparently, he doesn’t ever need to buy food, which may well be the case as he appears to be a pure scatophage. And he doesn’t think that three million auto workers and associated employees landing in the unemployment line at the same time will matter to anyone not living in Michigan,
Anyway, he has this to say:

What’s the “problem?” Is it that the automobile manufacturers are going out of business? Why is that a problem? Companies go out of business all the time in this country. Sure, people will be unemployed, but people are always unemployed in this country. Oh, a LOT of people will be unemployed? Well there’s already a lot of people unemployed.
Is the “problem” that banks are going out of business? Why is that a problem? Again, companies go out of business every day in America. Just because an official bank isn’t lending money doesn’t mean that there’s no money. I just lent my sister $10, and I’m not a bank.
Is the “problem” that house prices are falling? Again, why is that a problem? People who aren’t currently trying to sell their houses won’t even know anything has happened if they didn’t read the news.
Is the “problem” that many people are not paying for their homes and going into foreclosure? Why is that a problem? That’s been happening since people first started borrowing money to buy houses. Perhaps these people had bought homes that were too expensive in the first place and never should have bought them.
Is the “problem” that “too many” people are unemployed? Says who? Once again, there are benefits to being unemployed. Do you know how many great inventions and discoveries were made by people who were unemployed? Microsoft was founded by an unemployed kid in his garage!
Is the “problem” that too many people don’t have health insurance? How is that a problem? Is there some rule that says that everyone should have every medical ailment taken care of without issues? Is there someone in charge that claims that there should never be any suffering anywhere in America?
So again I say, there is no problem in America. Do you disagree?

If you disagree, feel free to tell him so. Right now, most of the 10 comments are from people stupid enough to actually agree with the idea that America’s current problems have been manufactured by liberals in government in order to give them a reason for existing. (Thanks to Meatbrain for pointing this out.)

1. #1 by Phillip IV on December 17, 2008 - 1:59 pm

What’s the “problem?” Is it that a giant meteor is headed for Earth? Why is that a problem? Giant meteors fly around all the time. Sure, people will die, but people are always dying in this country. Oh, a LOT of people will die? Well there’s already a lot of dead people.
    I think we might have discovered the line of argument behind unshakable optimism…

2. #2 by Kevin Beck on December 17, 2008 - 2:23 pm

Here’s more wisdom from this guy, this time concerning evolution:

In case you’re not familiar with [uniformitarianism], it’s taught on day 1 of all physical science classes as a “law.” This means you’re not allowed to challenge it and have to accept it or all of science is worthless. This “law” states that all natural processes happening today have always happened at exactly the same rate.

I don’t know where this brain-dead blatherhead went to school, but I know of no one who has had this experience and have never heard a single scientist claim that “all natural processes happening today have always happened at exactly the same rate.”
    He also completely misunderstands a Wired article about evolution, equating a journalists’ scorn for creationists’ tactics as a call to quash the free exchange of ideas. No, Ogre, people can say as many stupid things as they want, as your blog’s existence proves. Just don’t expect not to be challenged and challenged with those things that annoy you most–facts.

3. #3 by Coturnix on December 17, 2008 - 2:23 pm

I know Ogre. Ogre is a good and generous man in real life, unlike online. But Ogre and I disagree on everything – he is the typical NC ultra-libertarian of the government-is-evil variety. Makes no sense.

4. #4 by Coturnix on December 17, 2008 - 2:33 pm

Oh, I remember we clashed over evolution some years ago as well. He is this type of extreme libertarian. We agree on three things:
    1) blogging is a nifty community-building tool
    2) North Carolina is a great place to live
    3) Llamas are cool animals.
    That’s about it.

5. #5 by Coturnix on December 17, 2008 - 2:36 pm

Oh, and he has absolutely no idea even what the word Government means.

6. #6 by Kevin Beck on December 17, 2008 - 2:43 pm

I can empathize with anyone’s dissatisfaction over how the government has worked lately. What I don’t understand is how Ogre and those like him are somehow already laying the blame for America’s problems (at least the ones they are willing to acknowledge) on an administration that has yet to even take the reins. Anyone who refuses to even acknowledge who has been yanking the levers for the past eight years is tacitly admitting to being either insanely biased or a fucktard, and in either case deserves only ridicule.

7. #7 by Rev. BigDumbChimp on December 17, 2008 - 2:55 pm

Logic, you have a new enemy.

8. #8 by Kevin Beck on December 17, 2008 - 2:58 pm

“Logic, you have a new enemy.”
    What, you don’t think that “one unemployed guy ultimately became a billionaire, therefore joblessness is potentially lucrative” is sound inductive reasoning?

9. #9 by Rev. BigDumbChimp on December 17, 2008 - 3:04 pm

No no no. Of course I do. That’s why I’m going down to my bosses office and pissing in his coffee.
    “Hey boss, Take this job and .. well do something with it. It is a hindrance to my future earing potential. Economy be damned I’m off to invent the next great energy device. Purpetual motion via Potato cannon!”

10. #10 by The Science Pundit on December 17, 2008 - 3:13 pm

He also needs a history lesson. Microsoft was founded by a couple of Harvard Business School dropouts who left school because they had a vision for a software company.

11. #11 by John McKay on December 17, 2008 - 3:22 pm

Bill Gates wasn’t really unemployed. His parents were well enough off that could support him while he worked on the project that made him filthy rich. Leisure time is not the same as unemployed.
    I’d love to hear this guy’s response to a major epidemic: “what’s the problem? People die all the time; it’s not like we’re going to run out of people.”
    There’s no point in going over there to argue. It looks like he’s just saying inflammatory things to get attention. Attention validates his delusion that his ideas are meaningful. It’s no different than a child acting up.

12. #12 by JThompson on December 17, 2008 - 3:22 pm

Sadly the poor libertarians got the brunt of the conservatives fleeing the republican party because they had the decency to be ashamed, but not the intellect to figure out what they should actually be ashamed of.
    Libertarians aren’t really all that stable to begin with.
    Once it’s pointed out they take advantage of “socialism” on a pretty regular basis, they just start to stutter.
    After all, who needs roads, schools, or essential services. Your house wouldn’t be burning down if the gubmint wasn’t so big, so you wouldn’t even need the fire department! Infrastructure is for losers! Real men would buy a backhoe to maintain the 30 mile dirt road to their house! At least as long as it didn’t cross land that didn’t belong to them. In which case they’d need a helicopter. Unless the people wanted a no fly zone over their land. Then they’d just have to break out some of that “innovation” they’re always bitching about but never seem to produce and invent themselves a teleporter.
    Only one post over there even attempted to be a voice of reason. He or she was drowned by torrents of stupid attempting to ‘refute’ the points. The counterarguments can more or less be summed up as “Bad liberals! All their fault! (insert insult here)!”.

13. #13 by Moopheus on December 17, 2008 - 3:30 pm

“‘d love to hear this guy’s response to a major epidemic: “what’s the problem? People die all the time; it’s not like we’re going to run out of people.””
    Hey, that’s MY response to major epidemics. Unless I’m the one who’s sick. Then it sucks.

14. #14 by D on December 17, 2008 - 3:42 pm

Did we mention that at least one of them is the heir to several generations of heavy-duty lawyers on both sides of the family, and was attending Harvard on a $1M trust fund from a grandparent?

15. #15 by Coriolis on December 17, 2008 - 3:52 pm

You know it would almost be worth it if these free market loons got their chance and completely ruined the country, huge unemployment, no regulations, etc. And then maybe they’d get the picture and we wouldn’t have to go through with these dumb arguments again.
    Oh my bad. I guess they already got their chance in the 1929ish and already forgot their lesson.

16. #16 by Ogre on December 17, 2008 - 4:14 pm

Well, I followed the link from the comment that was left on my site regarding this, perhaps hoping I might have a discussion about this issue, because I thought I had a reasoned argument, and I honestly wanted to hear other people’s opinions on it.
    Thanks for stopping by, anyway.

17. #17 by D. C. Sessions on December 17, 2008 - 4:18 pm

It’s not that they forgot the lesson; they rewrote the book.
    No fooling — I’ve been in go-rounds with rocket scientists who argue that the 1929 crash was caused by excessive Government regulation of the financial sector.
    ObQuirk didn’t even slow them down.

18. #18 by Kevin Beck on December 17, 2008 - 4:43 pm

“I followed the link from the comment that was left on my site regarding this, perhaps hoping I might have a discussion about this issue, because I thought I had a reasoned argument, and I honestly wanted to hear other people’s opinions on it.
    However, I got all of three words into this post, only to find out the only arguments here are about what names I should be called. Sadly, I guess I’ll have no discussion about this issue. Oh well.”
    So you have nothing to say about your misunderstanding of Bill Gates’ background or your misunderstanding of why scientists scorn creationism? You have no response to those who have pointed out the inanity of libertarianism?
    I mean, you can pretend all you want that all that’s gone on here is name-calling, always a handy refuge for those who cannot bear to face their mistakes or the shoddiness of their positions. But it’s kind of hard to not notice the very direct and substantive things the commenters here have posted.

19. #19 by MattXIV on December 17, 2008 - 5:34 pm

Coloris/D. C. Sessions,
    Do yourselves a favor and actually learn a bit of macroeconomics before spouting off about the root causes of the Great Depression. Wikipedia is actually a pretty good place to start.

20. #20 by mgordon on December 17, 2008 - 9:41 pm

“because I thought I had a reasoned argument”
    You might want to reassess that.