I never thought I’d find someone who makes this guy look both coherent and moderate, but thanks to Meatbrain I happened across this post on a wreck of a blog named, predictably enough, “American and Proud.” Its keeper, one Robert from the Dallas area, and Meatbrain have a bit of a history; Meatbrain wrote about a post in which Robert declared that “fucking queers” should be “banished to a damn Island somewhere and used for target practice.” By way of hollow retaliation, Robert ranked Meatbrain third among his picks for the five WORST people in the blogosphere for 2008 (caps his), with this description:
#3 Thinking Meat (Or thinking of meat)
This is another libtard troll, he has frequented here and several other “Right minded” blogs, he really never says anything other than the daily KO’s talking points. Rumor has it he is under house arrest for child molesting, I am not sure how true that rumor is, but I wouldn’t doubt it. TM is by far one of the most prolific trolls the blogworld has seen, he posts comments and blogs about us “Conservatives” He insults us the best he can by showing how big of a traitor he is. He has posted lies upon lies but calls it “education” I love the faux intelectual type, as you will see soon enough. Congratulations TM you have made the list.
As a pointless mini-experiment, I left Robert a comment noting his spelling and grammar errors, always a sure-fire way to piss off dolts and smart folks alike. He altered it to suggest I was soliciting gay sex, and responded in such a way as to continue this nonexistent dialogue. I left one more comment, which Robert also modified to suit. I suspect that some of the follow-up comments ostensibly from others also came from Robert. Anyway, the whole exchange is here (and is funny for the fact that Robert still doesn’t know that “emence” is not a word).
All of this reminds me how uncannily similar far-right bloggers are. I’m sure the same can be said of god-free bloggers, but I like to think that although atheist commentary is largely the same in terms of content (as one would expect), styles and approaches vary tremendously. There’s no ideology at work here; critics of religion can logically support their positions and vary in their background–often coming from the church side of things themselves.
But nutjobs are ideologues. They deny any and all claims supporting anthropogenic global warming not because they understand or even care to investigate the science, but because they see AGW as a liberal cause. They rail against Marxism without having a clue what this means, and condemn the ACLU for stances it does not hold. They get all their “news” from sites like the WorldNut Daily and FOX. If they can even feign objectivity, they make no effort to do so. Look at Robert’s “About” page: He We says that as a nation, we “lead the world with compassion,” yet thinks the death penalty is not used often enough (this, from a Texan). Coherence is not a strong suit of these pundits.
So in this spirit, as in inveterate list-maker I am pleased to present a slate of five characteristic practices (and there are more) shared among almost all wingnut-bloggers:
- The banning or editing of dissenting comments. Angry idiot bloggers will give lip service to pretending to do this because of excessive “trolling” by “libtards” and “moonbats,” but for the most part they don’t even disguise the fact that they are not interested in honest dialogue and simply prefer to spew bullshit unrestrained by calls for factual support or decency. Not surprisingly, they, being hypocrites, usually have no qualms about throwing tantrums into the comment fields of their interlocutors. Robert explains that he “reserves the right to edit, change, re-format or otherwise render hilarious any comment left at American and Proud that is deemed worthless or off topic,” but what he means here is that he reserves the right to behave like the craven soul he is and monkey with comments that point out why Robert’s own expulsions are unintentionally comical.
- Uncontrollable urges to link all dissent with homosexual urges. Robert is an unusual case in his extreme homophobia, but even those who are able to avoid outright slurs tend to be unable to let go of any discussion in which they can inject anti-gay blather. The Opine-Editorial freaks who descend upon pro-gay sites like syphilitic yet indefatigable vultures comprise an archetypal example of this.
- Rampant jingoism. One good reason to mock these blogs rather than ignore them is because they go out of their way to tell you how very American they are. Sorry, assholes, but you’re the folks everyone with a modicum of fair-mindedness and any sensibility recognizes as a massive drain on the country. You can’t write, you can’t go three “sentences” without calling for a homo or someone else to be put to death, you claim to love Jesus and to top it off you live in a lice-infested armpit like rural Texas and call it paradise. Just be satisfied that you can legally vote.
- PayPal donation buttons. This one has always amused me, given wingnuts’ penchant for screaming about the liberal policy of doling out handouts to people who don’t deserve it. Well, if there’s a better example of a blogger whose site does not merit support than one who can’t assemble a sentence in English, alters comments, and in general shows no inclination toward truth or scholarship, I can’t conceive of it.
- 5. Not linking to those being criticized. Absent the ability to reason or generate prose in non-private variants of English, winger-bloggers place undue importance on site traffic, and so they feel they are punishing the opposition by not allowing for the possibility of two or three extra hits referred from their pits of malevolence.
But there’s another side to this: When someone with a brain (meaty or otherwise) writes about such foul assholes, chances are good that like-minded and similarly literate people will chime in with assent. The last thing an angry winger wants to do is expose his peers to evidence that what he has written is not, in fact, held in any esteem outside the acidic milieu of shitheads preaching hate and lies to other shitheads. That is, nutters won’t link to criticism of themselves for the same reason they won’t allow it on their own sites: It robs them of insularity, which is the only thing they have going for them, and punctures whatever paper-thin facade of credibility they have managed to erect within their own scattershot and synaptically substandard minds.
The reason I don’t mind giving this Robert sap and those like him a few hits is because I know that beneath the calcified layer of excrement surrounding what little cerebral matter he possesses, when Robert has been exposed as the rage-fueled and cowardly clown that he is, he recognizes it very well. He knows at heart that in advocating murder under an anonym he has no guts at all, and that his blog is nothing but a pulpit for ejaculating hateful spew into the faces of people depraved enough to eagerly lap it up. As with every other slack-jawed angry yokel, when someone points these things out, his only recourse is yell even louder, repeatedly call people faggots, and use the ban and edit functions of his blog interface to make himself feel marginally better. And I don’t feel it’s a complete waste of time to point fingers at people even if they’ll never change and only get off on the rare attention given to what they write, because in a world where Sarah Palin can become a legitimate vice-presidential candidate, understanding how stupid people think and behave is more important than dismissing them, tempting as the latter option may be.
Sometimes people like this disable comments altogether, but this is a good thing as it’s a step toward giving up blogging entirely; no one can keep churning out screed after screed without getting some feedback here and there about what people think of their ideas, and the feedback that racist assholes like the ones I’ve described in this post is, when limited to other blogs like this one, bound to be overwhelmingly negative. And while I roundly support the practice of unfettered idiots having as much of a say online as everyone else, it would hardly break my heart to see them keep their toxic bullshit to themselves.
Considering how infantile these biological adults’ behavior can be, it’s frightening to comprehend what they were like as literal children. Robert calls himself “proud,” but this is a laughable claim coming from someone who lacks the spine to attach a name to his views and has to resort to a literal blockade of outside input. Robert and those like him are nothing but angry cowards, plagued by just enough well-deserved guilt to keep them from really standing up for their beliefs. And they know it.