To most readers of this blog, this question has all the relevance and importance of “Is water dry?” Nevertheless, this post at “Understanding Science,” a site hosted at the University of California-Berkeley, provides a nice checklist of criteria for determining whether a concept or discipline can properly be called scientific. These include:
- Does it focus on the natural world?
- Does it aim to explain the natural world?
- Does it use testable ideas?
- Does it rely on evidence?
- Does it involve the scientific community?
- Does it lead to ongoing research?
- Do its researchers behave scientifically?
At a glance, this looks like a list someone would have created after regarding the world of Intelligent Design creationism and picking out precisely those things that are most lacking. As for astrology, it obviously fails with flying colors.