Banned from Sarah Palin’s Facebook page

(2/28 9:09 a.m. UPDATE: Someone pointed out that I had a “not” in this post which muddied the whole meaning of the sentence in question and detracted from one of my main points, which is that were I in charge of Family Guy I would not have dropped in the nugget alluding to Trig Palin. Sorry for the confusion.)

This is very amusing. Some time ago I “became a fan of Sarah Palin” on Facebook, just for the eerie, irony-charged thrill of seeing “Kevin Beck became a fan of Sarah Palin” on my profile. This page includes close to 1.4 million fans, who surely contribute no fewer than 10 million IQ points to society at large.

Recently, the FOX animated show Family Guy, well known for crossing every line in sight, featured an episode in which teenage lunkhead Chris Griffin developed a crush on a classmate with Down syndrome. While on a date with her, Chris asked her what her parents did. The girl replied that her mother was a former governor of Alaska, an obvious reference to the fact that Palin’s youngest son, Trig (who apparently should have simply been named Arithmetic), has Down syndrome. Palin quickly responded, as expected, as did her oldest daughter Bristol, and posted her response on her Facebook page.

I never thought I would write this, but I have to say as a great fan of Family Guy that if I were Seth MacFarlane or another of the show’s writers, I would have left that tidbit out. I can’t stand even the sight of Sarah Palin, much less her voice and the garbage she uses it to expel, but I don’t see taking a shot at her as a mother like that as necessary. There are hundreds of other ways to deliver her some solid shots without mentioning the fact that she delivered a kid with two extra chromosomes, mental retardation, and the guarantee of a diminished lifespan.

Anyway, when I noticed the Facebook post and the over 10,000 overwhelmingly supportive (if barely readable) responses, I had to chime in. What I wrote was not especially pernicious. I wish I’d saved it, but it was very close to “Karmic justice. The show went over the top for sure, but Sarah Palin eagerly and continually puts herself in a position to be mocked, most recently by ripping Obama for using a teleprompter while herself reading notes jotted down on her own palm.” There were a few more aggressive and unkind comments, but most were like this one:

What ever happen to good moral’s, love of God and country. Thank you Sara and your family for standing up for what is right.

Some waterhead sent me a private message later in the day. We had this exchange:

Gary White February 17 at 8:34pm
I can see why you are single, makingfun of children with disabilities is pretty sick.

Kevin Beck February 17 at 8:53pm
Only problem with that analysis, tough guy, is that I have never made fun of people with disabilities. I do mock people who are *functionally* disabled, like the lying, drooling Palin troglodyte and her cross-eyed and slack-jawed teabagger supporters, but that’s different. But your concern is duly noted.

Gary White February 17 at 10:36pm
I guess I don,t understand your problem with this issue,and why you are on this facebook page.

Kevin Beck February 17 at 11:17pm
I don’t have a problem with it. Sarah Palin and her legion of screaming halfwit fans are the ones with the grievance. And as far as my commenting there, last time I checked there was no rule stating that being a supporter of Palin was a prerequisite for joining the page. You probably noticed that I wasn’t the only one who doesn’t exactly feel sorry for her. The Family Guy writers may have crossed a line, but Palin has consistently put herself in a position to be a target of scorn through her lying, her whoring out of her family for political expediency, and her tireless streams of general bullshit.

The amusing thing is that the hordes of illiterates occupying her Facebook page probably think that she actually has a shot at being the president in 2012. She’s a joke even within her own party and should just stick with Fox “News” and Facebook.

Anyway, I noticed that the notification on my profile that I had posted a comment on Palin’s house of horrors had disappeared. I went back to the comment thread and sure enough, my commenting privileges had vanished. The moron’s minions had scrubbed my comment and banned me from any shot at a second try. Meanwhile, far less innocuous comments remained. My guess is that the Gary White hominid reported my comment out of spite, since I can’t see how it would have been noticed floating in a huge lunatic sea of 10,000 other contributions. It doesn’t matter, though. The comment strings on Palin’s page resemble gatherings of irate fifth-graders coming off ketamine. It’s no secret that low intelligence is a sine qua non of Palin fandom, but to actually see that much evidence collected under one virtual roof is, in a sick sort of way, enchanting. Proper spelling and punctuation are assiduously avoided and talk of God is predictably rampant.

There’s a saying in chemistry: “Like dissolves like.” Similarly, someone with the blunted intellect of Sarah Palin could attract the support and admiration only of people of equally low or lower intellectual wattage. I don’t know where these idiots hide out in the flesh-and-blood world, because I, fortunately, very rarely encounter them.

1. #1 by Tyler Mathews on February 18, 2010 - 6:44 am

I enjoyed this post very much. I may leave a comment myself.

2. #2 by meatbrain on February 18, 2010 - 11:13 pm

“What I wrote was not especially pernicious. I wish I’d saved it…”

Whenever I post a comment on a blog or other web page, I make a local copy of the page using the Firefox extension Scrapbook. Works a treat.

3. #3 by typicallytracey on April 11, 2010 - 5:45 pm

Simply brilliant….I enjoyed this very much!

4. #4 by Jerry Wright on July 6, 2010 - 7:16 pm

Same just happened to me but all I did was try to do was show how she edits quotes. I put this on my FB notes today :

I try to do as much homework and research as I can when it comes to politics. Half the time I don’t know who or what to believe but when it comes to twisting or editing quotes you can usually find out the truth (I said usually not always). So Sarah Palin put on her FB page the following:

A DIFFERENT VIEW OF AMERICA

We have a President, perhaps for the very first time since the founding of our republic, who doesn’t appear to believe that America is the greatest earthly force for good the world has ever known.

When asked whether he believed in American exceptionalism, President Obama answered, “I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism.” Amazing. Amazing.

I think this statement speaks volumes about his world view. He sees nothing unique in the American experience? Really? Our founding, and our founding mothers and fathers? Really? And our history over the past two and half centuries?

Really? He sees nothing unique in an America that fought and won two world wars and in victory sought not one inch of territory or one dollar of plunder? He sees nothing unique in an America that, though exhausted by conflict, still laid the foundation for security in Europe and Asia after World War II? He sees nothing unique in an America that prevailed against an evil ideology in the Cold War? Does he just see a country that has to be apologized for around the world, especially to dictators?

President Obama actually seems reluctant to even embrace American power. Earlier this year when he was asked about his faltering Middle East peace process, he said “whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower.” Whether we like it or not?! Really? Mr. President, this may come as news to you, but most Americans actually do like it. And so do our allies. They know it was our military might that liberated countless millions from tyranny, slavery, and oppression over the last 234 years. Yes, we do like it. As a dominant superpower, the United States has won wars hot and cold; our military has advanced the cause of freedom and kept authoritarian powers in check.

It is in America’s and the world’s best interests for our country to remain the dominant military superpower, but under President Obama’s leadership that dominance may be slipping away. It’s the result of an agenda that reeks of complacency and defeatism.

(I went on from there to talk about our need to end the negative, defeatist attitudes of those in leadership. I spoke further on American exceptionalism, and Willow and I ended a great evening with some great patriots. Sorry the media chose to report anything other than what actually happened at the event.)

– Sarah Palin

I didn’t have to do much research to find out that Obama did in fact say this. But that was the first sentence to the question he was answering. So I commented exactly what it says below:

Obama did say ““I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism.”
    But this is misleading because you didint include the full answer:

“I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism. I’m enormously proud of my country and its role and history in the world. If you think about the site of this summit and what it means, I don’t think America should be embarrassed to see evidence of the sacrifices of our troops, the enormous amount of resources that were put into Europe postwar, and our leadership in crafting an Alliance that ultimately led to the unification of Europe. We should take great pride in that.

“And if you think of our current situation, the United States remains the largest economy in the world. We have unmatched military capability. And I think that we have a core set of values that are enshrined in our Constitution, in our body of law, in our democratic practices, in our belief in free speech and equality, that, though imperfect, are exceptional.

“Now, the fact that I am very proud of my country and I think that we’ve got a whole lot to offer the world does not lessen my interest in recognizing the value and wonderful qualities of other countries, or recognizing that we’re not always going to be right, or that other people may have good ideas, or that in order for us to work collectively, all parties have to compromise and that includes us.

“And so I see no contradiction between believing that America has a continued extraordinary role in leading the world towards peace and prosperity and recognizing that that leadership is incumbent, depends on, our ability to create partnerships because we create partnerships because we can’t solve these problems alone.”

My post was deleted and I’m disabled from making comments. I just think its hypocritical of her to preach about freedom of speech and then delete my comment. She allows so much name calling on her page (as long as its directed toward a party other than hers) much of it violent and hateful.

5. #5 by Tyrone on November 1, 2010 - 9:20 pm

I was actually also banned from her page, and for a comment much, MUCH more tame. I was just commenting on her pointing out that, yes, you can see Russia from Alaska. Well, that wasn’t the humor of her statement, the humor was that she used those words to prove she had good knowledge of foreign policy, which is farcical, we can all agree. It makes me sad, because I enjoy attempting to be the voice of reason within her notes. I never attack and only try to present another angle on matters, which, far too often, are very one sided. Very sad. I love this country, I really do.

6. #6 by Clarence D. Smart on January 8, 2011 - 9:26 pm

It is hard for me to wrap my mind around some of the concepts that some of the tea baggers are espousing….hate and lying… They actually give “Red Necks” a bad name!